Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Reading Diary A: Hans Christian Andersen

This week I chose to read the Hans Christian Andersen unit. I really wanted to read this one because the story of The Little Mermaid is in the second half of the unit. In the first half of the unit there were two familiar stories, The Princess and the Pea and The Emperor's New Clothes. I clearly remembered reading these stories when I was a child, but I did not realize how terrible they were. The moral in the first story is that Princess is defined by her spoiled nature. And in the second story a whole kingdom is fooled by two swindlers into claiming they see something when in actuality it doesn't exist. They just didn't want to admit they didn't see the clothes because it meant they were stupid... according to the swindlers. I really enjoyed the story of The Brave Tin Soldier. I found it very interesting that the whole story was written from the perspective of the toy. It was a very Toy Story-esque read. I wish the soldier and the little lady didn't have to burn at the end! I look forward to reading The Little Mermaid in the second half of the unit!
Allied Forces

No comments:

Post a Comment