Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Reading Diary B: Japanese Fairy Tale


I did not specify in my previous post that the JapaneseFairy Tale unit that I chose was the Lang one. Within this second half there were several stories that had a tanuki as one of its central characters. In all of the stories it never gave an explanation as to what exactly this being was. In the story The Slaying of the Tanuki, an illustration was given detailing the appearance of the beast. It was a very odd creature that possessed qualities of several different beings. Based on these stories I would assume that the tanukis were popular pieces of Japanese storytelling. In each piece they played the role of the trickster and/or villain. I didn’t enjoy this half of the unit as much as I did the first one though. With the first unit I was captivated by most of the stories. In this one I really didn’t feel that way about any of them. I guess I will be picking a story from the first half of the unit for my storytelling assignment!  

No comments:

Post a Comment