Thursday, August 27, 2015

Exploring the UnTextbook


Briefly scrolling through the UnTextbook there were a few units that caught my eye.
First off, the Adam and Eve story grabbed my attention. I already know this story like the back of my hand because that’s pretty much the first story every kid learns in Sunday school. I think it would be interesting though to take this story and compare it to Creation stories associated with other cultures. The picture below depicts Adam and Eve being banished from the Garden of Eden after from the Tree of Knowledge. I chose this image because of the way the snake was depicted. I was intrigued because it is a half snake half woman creature. The fact that the snake is depicted as a woman shows the views of women at the time this painting was created. Women were seen as inferior to men and if a man betrayed his morals or values it was seen as the woman's fault, always. This portrays the story of Adam and Eve but also the culture during the time Michelangelo made it.
I’ve read some of Dante’s Inferno but not very much. This is one of those things I have always meant to get around to and just haven’t. Plus, I already have a copy of it on my bookshelf!
When I was a little kid I always loved reading about Greek and Egyptian myth so the unit over Egyptian myth caught my eye. I was able to tell you all of the Gods and Goddesses and some of their stories. It would be pretty cool to review all of that because to this day it still interests’ me.

The Grimm tales would be really interesting to read this semester. My whole childhood I grew up listening to the fairytales that were originally written by the Grimm brothers. I am familiar with the recreated versions of all of these stories but have never actually heard the originals. I’m interested to see just how disturbing the original stories are compared to the fluff we hear now.

Lastly, Homer’s Odyssey was something I was required to read I believe my sophomore year of high school. Unfortunately, my younger self didn’t want to take the time to read it so what little I remember I received from Spark Notes. It’s a classic book and I would like to finally read it.
There are so many possibilities and a lot of interesting stories in the UnTextbook. I can't wait to see what this semester has to offer!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment