Monday, November 9, 2015

Famouss Last Words: Week 11


This past week was a pretty hectic one. I had a lab practical in my Comparative Vertebrate Anatomy class. It was over the muscles in the shark, nectarus, and cat. This was definitely the most difficult practical we have had so far so my entire week was devoted to studying for it. Someone actually did the math based on how much we had to memorize and how little we were tested over. Only 12% of what we had to know was actually on the practical! I’m pretty sure doing that math is the ultimate form of procrastination, but at least I wasn’t the one who did it!
In addition to studying for the practical I also had to write an essay for my History of Science class. It was an analytical essay over John Buridan’s paper On the Compatibility of Earth’s Diurnal Motion with Astronomical Phenomena. This paper questioned whether or not the Earth rotated on its axis. This paper was of course written during the medieval ages before they knew the answer to such questions. The way he wrote this paper exemplified the classrooms within the universities during this time period. The manner in which he did this is called the scholastic method. This is the form of proposing a question based on an authoritative text then detailing the various sides of the argument. This was also how the classrooms during this time was conducted. It was an interesting read but slightly confusing. I didn’t even know what the Buridan’s stance was until I went to office hours to speak with my professor. He went back and forth so many times and proposed so many different argument that it was hard to figure out which point he agreed with.
Overall it was a great week that ended with a basketball and football win! That made me a very happy girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment