Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Reading Diary A: Alice and Wonderland

I chose to read the Alice and Wonderland unit this week. I chose to read it because when I was a kid I loved the Disney movie. I watched the movie awhile ago, wishing to reminisce about my childhood. Wow, did I not realize when I was young how weird that movie is. At the very start of it Alice "sees" a rabbit talking and reading a watch! This ridiculousness only grows from this point on. This movie was of course based on Lewis Carroll's book Through the Looking Glass. After reading the first half of the unit it seemed fairly similar to the movie I used to love. The book was definitely different for its time. A common question people pose when reading this is, "was Lewis Carroll on drugs when he wrote this?". I tried to find out myself, because this is definitely an interesting read. I came across some sites that said no he didn't, and some that said yes he did. Back during this time people took opium for headaches so it is likely that he might have. Either way, this guy wrote a pretty trippy story that has some how found its way into the hearts of children all over the world thanks to the magic of Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment