Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Reading Diary B: Arabian Nights


The second half of the Arabian Nights unit was entirely devoted to the story of Aladdin. My only background before this story was the Disney movie. There were some similarities between this story and the movie I grew up with but for the most part it was very different! And there was definitely no Robin Williams in the original… I really enjoyed this story and seeing it in its “original” form. I do have two questions though. Why is it that when the princess sees Aladdin right before they are to be married she doesn’t recognize him as being the creepy guy that would have her bed brought to him at night? She consented to the marriage and fell in love on the spot but didn’t make that connection. I just found that really odd. You would think you would remember something like that and it would scar you. Secondly, Aladdin always left the room when he was going to ask the genie for something. Did the princess never know about him? I guess she just assumed the magician took her to Africa and his death reversed the spell and sent her and the palace back to China. There weren't any magic carpets, tiger and monkey companions, or musical breakaways that touched my heart but I really enjoyed the story. Overall it was very interesting and definitely left me wanting to know what was going to happen next. This just might have been my favorite read so far in the course! Now I really want to go and watch Aladdin…

No comments:

Post a Comment